This is my take on menemen, the just-set egg, tomato and olive oil scramble from Turkey that’s so very delicious. It is wonderful topped with a little salty feta.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- small knob of butter
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 orange pepper, cored, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chill flakes
- small handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 slices of good wholemeal bread, toasted
- 25g (scant 1/4 cup) feta, crumbled
- sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a nonstick frying pan and gently sauté the onion and pepper for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and keep cooking until the tomatoes have lost most of their moisture.
- Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs, chilli flakes, parsley and some salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are just set. Serve immediately on the toast, sprinkled with feta.